We run a Forest Schools programme for children in Years 1-6 run by our Forest Schools Leader. Reception children have a weekly ‘welly walk’ throughout the year as an introduction to the Forest Schools programme.
Forest School provides holistic (whole child) learning opportunities which are focused on children’s interests in a woodland environment.
These outdoor learning opportunities help children to:
- Improve confidence, resilience and creativity –
- Improve physical wellbeing and motor development –
- Improve empathy, social skills and build a sense of community –
- Give an insight into the natural world and help children build connection with it –
- Take risks in a supported way –
Learning opportunities are learner led, giving them opportunities to pursue their interests and develop a range of practical skills e.g. using tools for crafts.
Sessions are based on long-term observation & guidance from leaders
Children are encouraged to develop a sense of personal responsibility for their choices, actions and for the world around them.
As it takes place in all but the most extreme weather, children develop resilience and stamina!